Two New Philosophy Jobs At University Of Kwazulu-Natal
The University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) is committed to employment equity with the intention to promote representativity within the Institution. Preference will be given to applicants from designated groups in accordance with our Employment Equity Plan.
COLLEGE OF HUMANITIES
Associate Professor (1 Post) & Lecturer (1 Post) – PHILOSOPHY
SCHOOL OF RELIGION, PHILOSOPHY AND CLASSICS (HOWARD COLLEGE CAMPUS)
The Discipline of Philosophy in the School of Religion, Philosophy and Classics, University of KwaZulu-Natal prides itself in its high quality of research and teaching. The successful incumbents will complement or enhance the research and teaching strengths of the discipline at the Howard College Campus (Durban). At Associate Professor Level, the incumbent will be expected to contribute to academic leadership and should have a research record appropriate for the level of appointment. Both levels of appointment will be expected to teach philosophy modules at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, as well as actively engage in research and supervise postgraduate students. In addition, appointees will be expected to participate in administrative duties in the discipline and school, and be willing to take on leadership responsibilities where applicable.
Minimum Requirements: Associate Professor (REFERENCE NUMBER: RPC03/2019)
- A PhD in Philosophy
- A record of published research in Philosophy appropriate for an Associate Professor.
- At least five years university lecturing experience in Philosophy.
- Experience in supervising graduate students in Philosophy.
- Teaching competence in at least three the following: African Philosophy, Epistemology, Ethics, Metaphysics, Philosophy of Law, Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Science, Political Philosophy, or Social Philosophy.
- A track record in academic administration and/or leadership appropriate at the Level of Associate Professor.
Minimum Requirements: Lecturer (REFERENCE NUMBER: RPC04/2019)
- A Masters degree in Philosophy with evidence of progress towards a PhD.
- Teaching competence in at least two of the following: African Philosophy, Epistemology, Ethics, Metaphysics, Philosophy of Law, Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Science, Political Philosophy, or Social Philosophy.
- University lecturing experience in Philosophy.
The short-listed candidate may be required to make a 20 minute presentation on a topic to be provided by the School.
This appointment will be made in line with the University guidelines/benchmarks which are available on the University Vacancies website on http://vacancies.ukzn.ac.za/Academic-Process-Proc-Guides.aspx .
Enquiries and details regarding this post, may be sent to:
Dr Jacek Brzozowski (Academic Leader for Philosophy)
Appointment to this post will be on the January 2018 Conditions of Service.
The remuneration package offered includes benefits. The closing date for receipt of applications is 01 November 2019.
Applicants are required to complete the relevant application form which is available on the Vacancies website at www.ukzn.ac.za
Completed forms may be sent to email@example.com
Please state the advert reference number in your subject line.